In order to save fuel and slow down their vehicles without putting a lot of stress on the service brakes, various drivers take advantage of something called engine brake. This type of brake might not completely stop a vehicle, but it can be very efficient in reducing its speed by downshifting into an inferior gear. Here is exactly how engine braking works and why drivers should install this braking system on their vehicles.
1. Engine braking should be applied at the right rpm’s. In order for this braking system to be efficient, the driver must engage engine braking when the engine spins at the right number of revs suitable for downshifting into an inferior gear. If the engine brake is applied when the engine revs too fast, the clutch plate can get damaged. Still, with a little bit of practice, any driver can get used to apply the engine brake at the right moment each time.
2. The engine brake is perfect for slowing down in traffic. Especially if the traffic is not very high, drivers can confidently make use of the engine brake and spare the service brakes in order to slow down their vehicles. Additionally, the engine brake is very useful when going downhill as well and it can prevent the overheating of the regular brakes.
3. Engine braking can help with fuel economy. One of the biggest advantages of using the engine brake is the simple fact that it can save fuel in the long run. Basically, when drivers engage the engine braking, they are lifting the foot from the gas pedal and this means that no fuel is going into the cylinders. If engine braking is applied on a regular basis for a long period of time, the fuel savings can be substantial.
4. Engine braking can reduce wear and tear on service brakes. Engine brake is a supplemental braking system, meaning that it can work in conjunction with the normal brakes and sometimes be used instead of them. As a result, the service brakes will last longer and the driver doesn’t have to pay a lot of money for brakes maintenance.
5. Engine braking systems are lightweight. Such products don’t weigh a lot in comparison with traditional braking systems and they can be installed with little to no effort on various types of vehicles. Thanks to the fact that modern engine braking systems are lightweight, they don’t ruin the performance of a particular car.
6. Engine braking makes a vehicle safer. This supplemental braking system improves vehicle control and handling and it can give more peace of mind to the driver while driving on highways or countryside roads. Additionally, engine braking allows the driver to manage a heavy trailer or caravan easier while taking left or right turns.
If you would like to take advantage of all the features and benefits provided by engine braking systems, make sure that you give us a call today. We sell a multitude of engine brakes for different types of vehicles and we have a lot of experience in what we do, so you will be provided with top quality services at affordable prices. Dealers are welcomed too.